PedidosYa is a leader in online food delivery from Latin America that connects millions of people with more than 15,000 restaurants in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Panama, Paraguay and Uruguay.
Since 2017, it has been part of the Delivery Hero Group, a publicly traded company from Germany valued at more than €4.5 billion.
8 million native app downloads
Available in 400 cities worldwide
In order to minimize the risk associated with its native applications, PedidosYa enlisted the help of Abstracta’s automation experts.
The plan was to build a scalable, dynamic, and easily maintainable framework for its dev teams to adopt along with a methodology that would enable early and continuous feedback on the native apps’ quality.
Our Solution: Mobile Automation with Appium
Over three months, we developed a specific framework for PedidosYa’s requirements which enabled the developers to continue to implement automatic checks at the UI level for its Android and iOS apps.
Essential Features of the Framework:
- Combines the following technologies: Java, Maven, TestNG, Appium, Allure, GenyMotion, and SauceLabs.
- Includes a base framework divided into two repositories, one for Android and another for iOS.
- Uses Page Objects pattern for greater test maintainability.
- Follows data-driven testing methodology, in order to be able to add more test cases by simply adding data to a csv file.
- Able to execute tests in a way that simulates different geographic locations or languages that may be configured on the user’s device.
- Accommodates A/B testing situations, where the flow of the screens changes in certain situations
Throughout the project, the Abstracta team held weekly reviews and retrospectives, demoing the framework for different stakeholders, obtaining feedback, suggesting improvements, ideas, changes, etc.
In addition, Abstracta held workshops with the developers, where they were able to learn everything they needed to know about the framework: from its basic components to how to execute tests and run reports.
Weekly retrospective meetings
Testers held framework demos
Additional workshops and training
Real-time communication and client visits
Abstracta reduced the amount of risk in the development and delivery process of its native mobile apps, which form the core of PedidosYa’s business.
Abstracta helped the developers to code in a way that made testing their apps easier as well as created a custom automation framework that reduced the time it takes to obtain results about each code change’s impact on quality.
Abstracta enabled PedidosYa to run different types of automatic checks in its development pipeline, beginning with a requirement or an idea and ending with the superior experience of the thousands of users who order food from its apps daily.